The CoinPool idea was spawned in early 2020, and it was presented to the mailing list in June 2020.
After gathering some feedback, a thorough CoinPool design was proposed in the form of a whitepaper in February 2022.
A potential future of CoinPool may look as follows:
- activate SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT or equivalent primitive enabling Eltoo-like update mechanism;
- activate SIGHASH_GROUP and malleability flags extensions (or an equivalent primitive) enabling transaction amounts introspection;
- update and maintain a Bitcoin Core fork with OP_MERKLESUB
- build a minimal CoinPool prototype, MERKLESUB-based running on the signet or bitcoin-inquisition;
- run a signet with OP_MERKLESUB;
- activate OP_MERKLESUB (or a modified OP_TLUV, or any other alternative);
- propose a specification to standardize CoinPool or other payment pools design.
This process should be accompanied by continiously researching the trade-offs and alternatives, as well as improving CoinPool itself.
Notably, while it is already possible to build a constrained form on CoinPool without changes to the base layer, we believe it is better to focus on the ground work research before proceeding to the implementation.